A Pet/CT Scan (Positron Emission Tomography)/(Computed Tomography) is a precise tool to detect and diagnose cancer, heart disease, or neurological diseases. This kind of scan with the Pet and CT scan combined is an efficient tool in detecting cancer, two tools in one machine.
It is very important to eat the right foods, and to drink water to detox the radiation out of your body. Your doctor will give you a detailed check list of what you should do before receiving a Pet Scan. The most important thing to do the day before is:
1. Do not consume any SUGAR – also anything that can turn into sugar like, potatoes, rice, pasta, crackers, pretzels, etc. Stay away from carbs. Sugar is the primary food for cancer, when you omit the sugar you are starving the cancer cells. One hour before your scan they will give you a contrast drink (Radioactive sugar), and the hungry cancer cells will attack the sugar and the scan can pin point where the cancer is in your body.
2. Eat a healthy high protein meal with lots of veggies
3. Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water the day before and the day of your scan, by doing this the radiologist can better see what’s going on inside of your body.
4. Wear comfortable, light weight clothing because you are going to have to lie still for 15-30 minutes. If you move they may have to do the whole scan over, and you don’t want to risk getting more radiation then you bargained for.
5. If you are claustrophobic, smell the sent vanilla, or Lavendar it can calm your nerves, do some deep breathing, close your eyes when your head is about to go in the scanner, think of something nice that can distract you.
6. Don’t wear anything with metal in it, like a zipper or hair clips or and under wire bra.
7. Ask the radiologist if they can pipe music in, and ask them for a count down to when you are almost done. Or you can ask if you can bring your cell phone in and play your own relaxing, calming music. When I go, my radiologist Scott, rolls in a table and puts my phone on that. I hope that everyone has a person like Scott when a Pet or Cat scan is needed, he is such a kind, caring guy!! Music can always heal your soul!
8. Make sure that you are comfortable because you are going to have to lie still and you don’t want parts of your body falling asleep or in pain.
9. Be prepared to be there for about 2 hours.
WHAT TO EAT AND DO AFTER YOUR SCAN
1. Do not go or eat in public places, you are radioactive! Stay away from pregnant people and children.
2. Wash the clothes that your wore to the scan.
3. Take a thorough shower
4. Drink lots of water to flush the radiation out of your body
5. Rest, you may feel light headed or nauseous
FOODS TO DETOX RADIATION
Apples – They are high in pectin, they can bind radioactive residues and remove them from the body. Oranges and plums also contain pectin, but if you are fighting cancer, lay off of the oranges or use them in small quantities due to acid.
Foods that are rich in Chlorophyll - it is used by plants to convert sunlight into energy. Leafy greens, celery, parsley, bean sprouts and wheatgrass to name a few. Spirlina and alfalfa can decrease radiation toxicity.
Garlic – It is high in sulfur, protects red blood cells from radiation.
Bee Pollen – Can reduce side effects.
Beets – Can rebuild hemoglobin after exposure to radiation and it cleans your blood.
Some more foods are: Brown rice, kelp, seaweed, miso, rosemary, onions, ginger, and broccoli.
I hope that this information has helped anyone that has to have a scan.
Take care of your body and it will take care of you!
EAT RIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE,